- Install JK2 from CD or from Steam and run the multiplayer at least once.
- In case you installed from CD, install the 1.04 patch.
- Install JK2MV.
The portable versions should only be used by experienced users.
- Get the App Store or Steam version of JK2.
- DragNDrop the JK2MV app and run it. If you have the JK2 app somewhere else then the /Applications or Steam directory, make sure it sits side by side (in the same directory) with your JK2MV app.
- Run the JK2MV App.
- Buy JK2 via Steam / App Store on Windows / macOS or use the CD version.
- Copy assets 0,1,2,5 to either /usr/share/jk2mv/base or /home/YourUserName/.jk2mv/base (recommended).
- Install the JK2MV package matching your distribution. Official builds only support Ubuntu and Fedora but may also work on compatible systems.
- Run JK2MV.
For other distributions or 32bit architectures, build JK2MV from source. (It's easy and quick)
The jk2mvded can be used as a drop-in replacement for jk2ded executables. You can use the mv_serverversion cvar to switch between gameversions.
Read the Server-Hosting documentation for more detailed information.